Tuesday, November 4, 2008

KISS Meets the Phantom

It was 30 years ago today. Well, not exactly. I have to admit, I have Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band in my head. Check out "Beatallica", an awesome parody band that plays amazing chimeric tributes to Metallica songs welded to Beatles songs.

Anyway, it was slightly more than 30 years ago today, back in October of 1978 actually, that KISS released their much-anticipated, and later much-ridiculed film "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park". Really this movie should only be played at midnight. However, I'm a big fan and I must say that I love it. I remember my parents flipping past it on the evening that it was on TV. I also remember being disappointed that they didn't flip back to it! Oh well, now I have it on the KISSOLOGY. Now that I'm 35 they can't stop me from watching it! Or can they?

Okay, so now the question that begs to be answered is this. What is it about this, and perhaps other cheese whiz movies, that is so appealing? The awful special effects. The corny lines. The actual fact that a rock band in make-up thought that they'd be taken seriously in a movie. Honestly, I think it was the very fact that they tried it, just the guts of it all, that made it so great to me. I must admit though that after hearing the other day what Peter Criss said about it, that it was going to be "dramatic" (not an exact quote so excuse me please), I have to laugh.

I'm curious as to what my "readers" (all negative 100 of you) think of the movie. More later on this. I plan to re-watch it.

Here's a shout out to the KISS Army and also their awesome podcast, PODKISST.

No comments: